Researcher: Venustiano Soancatl Aguilar, former PhD student
Thesis defense: March 19, 2018
First promotor: Prof. Jos Roerdink, PhD (Computer Sciences, RuG)
Copromotor: Dr. Claudine Lamoth, PhD (Human Movement Sciences, RuG)
Collaborators: Dr. Jasper van de Gronde, PhD, Dr. Mike van Diest, PhD, Prof. Ben Maassen, PhD, Toivo Glatz, MSc
Recently, digital games controlled by real-time body movements (exergames) have been proposed as an innovative method to improve balance among older adults. One of the main challenges for exergames is to automatically quantify balance during game-play to adapt the game difficulty according to the skills of the player. We employ multidimensional data analysis, using visualization of force plate and Kinect data, to establish suitable measures for quantifying balance in real-time.
- Soancatl Aguilar, V., Martinez Manzanera, O., Sival, D. A., Maurits, N. M., & Roerdink, J. B. T. M. (2018). Distinguishing Patients with a Coordination Disorder from Healthy Controls using Local Features of Movement Trajectories during the Finger-to-nose Test. IEEE Trans. Biomedical Engineering. https://doi.org/(…)09/TBME.2018.2878626
- Soancatl Aguilar, V., van de Gronde, J. J., Lamoth, C. J. C., Maurits, N. M., & Roerdink, J. B. T. M. (2018). Assessing Dynamic Balance Performance during Exergaming based on Speed and Curvature of Body Movements. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 171-180. https://doi.org/(…)9/TNSRE.2017.2769701
- Assessing Dynamic Postural Control During Exergaming in Older Adults: a Probabilistic Approach. V. Soancatl Aguilar, C.J.C. Lamoth, N.M. Maurits, J.B.T.M. Roerdink, Gait & Posture, 2017 Dec 16;60:235-240.
- Visual Data Exploration for Balance Quantification in Real-Time During Exergaming Venustiano Aguilar Soancatl, Jasper J. van de Gronde, Claudine J.C. Lamoth, Mike van Diest, Natasha M. Maurits, Jos B.T.M. Roerdink. PLoS One. 2017 Jan 30;12(1):e0170906. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0170906. eCollection 2017.
- Venustiano Soancatl, Jasper J. van de Gronde, Natasha M. Maurits, Claudine C. J. C. Lamoth, and Jos B. T. M. Roerdink. Curvature and Speed for Balance Quantification During Exergaming. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Motion in Games. New York, NY, USA. ACM, pages 201–202, 2016.
- Venustiano Soancatl, J. J. van de Gronde, C. J. C. Lamoth, N. M. Maurits, and Jos B. T. M. Roerdink. Visual Data Exploration for Balance Quantification During Exergaming. In EuroVis 2016 – Posters. Groningen. The Eurographics Association, pages 25–27, 2016.