Copromotor: Jan Willem Elting, MD, PhD
Collaborators: Prof. Marina de Koning-Tijssen, MD, PhD, Han van der Hoeven, MD, PhD, Martijn Beudel, MD, PhD, Robert Borgemeester, MD, Prof. Teus van Laar, MD, PhD, Tinka Lawerman, Ineke Lunsing, MD, Rick Brandsma, MD, Deborah Sival, MD, PhD, Andrea Mannini, PhD (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa), Diana Trojaniello, PhD (San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan), Prof. Ugo Della Croce (La Sapienza, Rome), PhD, Prof. Angelo Sabatini, PhD (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa)
In this project human movement was evaluated with the purpose of improving the diagnosis and monitoring of movement disorders. We recorded the movements of patients with different symptoms of movement disorders including tremor, bradykinesia and impaired coordination employing different sensors, including accelerometers, gyroscopes and magnetic sensors. From the recorded signals we derived features that were then employed to 1) obtain an objective diagnostic classification using classifiers and 2) obtain an objective assessment of the severity of a movement disorder symptom using classifiers or regression analysis. Cross-validation techniques were employed to obtain estimates of the model performance on new data.
- Distinguishing Patients With a Coordination Disorder From Healthy Controls Using Local Features of Movement Trajectories During the Finger-to-Nose Test. Aguilar VS, Martinez Manzanera O, Sival DA, Maurits NM, Roerdink JBTM. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2019 Jun;66(6):1714-1722.
- Instrumented finger-to-nose test classification in children with ataxia or developmental coordination disorder and controls. Martinez-Manzanera O, Lawerman TF, Blok HJ, Lunsing RJ, Brandsma R, Sival DA, Maurits NM. Clin Biomech. 2018 Dec;60:51-59.
- Automatic classification of gait in children with early-onset ataxia or developmental coordination disorder and controls using inertial sensors. Mannini A, Martinez-Manzanera O, Lawerman TF, Trojaniello D, Croce UD, Sival DA, Maurits NM, Sabatini AM. Gait Posture. 2017 Feb;52:287-292.
- Tremor Detection Using Parametric and Non-Parametric Spectral Estimation Methods: A Comparison with Clinical Assessment. Martinez Manzanera O, Elting JW, van der Hoeven JH, Maurits NM. PLoS One. 2016 Jun 3;11(6):e0156822.
- A method for automatic and objective scoring of bradykinesia using orientation sensors and classification algorithms Martinez Manzanera O, Roosma E, Beudel M, Borgemeester R, van Laar T, Maurits N. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2016 May;63(5):1016-1024.
- Parkinson bradykinesia correlates with EEG background frequency and perceptual forward projection. Beudel M, Roosma E, Martinez Manzanera OE, van Laar T, Maurits NM, de Jong BM. Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2015 Jul;21(7):783-8.